D51 students harvest fruits of their labor

D51 students harvest fruits of their labor
Posted on 09/13/2017

More than a hundred students from Chatfield and Pomona elementary schools took the first step in getting vegetables and fruits from the land to their lunch trays by planting seeds in May at the Colorado State University Western Colorado Research Center at 3168 B ½ Road. At 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017, Pomona fourth-graders who planted those seeds as third-graders will see the fruits of their labor as they harvest tomatoes for Pomona’s cafeteria and Food Bank of the Rockies.

Students planted fruit and vegetable seeds on three acres at the research center specifically designated for a partnership between Colorado State University, School District 51, Western Colorado Community College, and Food Bank of the Rockies. In addition to tomatoes, students planted cucumbers, melons, butternut squash, and other varieties that School District 51 does not currently purchase locally.

About 70 percent of the produce will go to Food Bank of the Rockies and most of the remaining 30 percent will end up in School District 51 cafeterias or on the Lunch Lizard mobile school meal truck, with the remainder going to Colorado Mesa University/WCCC food service provider Sodexo.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.