Questions and Answers

Child Find - Questions and Answers                   child find image                                                                                                           

How do I decide if my child should be seen?shooting stars

Child Find provides developmental assessments for young children (birth through 5 years of age) for whom there may be a question of a developmental delay.

The most common concern that brings a family to Child Find is a question about their child's speech. Often, the child is late in talking or their speech is unclear. Many preschools and child care centers refer children to Child Find. Parents may speak with their health care providers to discuss concerns and then contact Child Find.

Who are the members of a Child Find team?

Child Find assessment teams include professionals who evaluate speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, cognitive ability, behavior, vision and hearing, as well as growth and development. Parents are an active part of the assessment.

How much does a Child Find assessment cost?

Child Find is a free service to the public and is funded by your tax dollars.

How do I contact Child Find?

If your child is birth to 3 years of age contact Mesa Developmental Services at 241-5403.

Eligible children receive an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and every effort is made for the child to receive their services in the home setting if that is what the family chooses.

If your child is 3 to 5 years of age contact Mesa County Valley School District 51 at 254-5405.

Eligible children receive an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and most children receive their services within the preschool setting with their same age peers.

If your child is 5 to 21 years of age contact your neighborhood school.

Many families speak with their child's teacher first. Refer to the special education link on this website. 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.