Colorado Open Records Act

What is CORA?
The Colorado Open Records Act, or CORA, allows anyone to request access to public records. Public records include, but are not limited to, writings made, maintained or kept by the school district or its employees, except as otherwise prohibited by law.

How can I make a CORA request?
The process for requesting records is included in School Board Policy KDB-R.

How much does it cost to make a CORA request?
The request is free, but you can be charged if it takes district staff longer than one hour to compile the information you have requested, and/or if there are multiple copies that need to be made to fulfill a request. Charges and other information is available in School Board Policy KDB-R.

Where should I send a CORA request?
By mail: Mesa County Valley School District 51, Attn: Emily Shockley
2115 Grand Ave.
Grand Junction, CO 81501

By email:

Looking for Student Records?
CORA requests are typically for documents and recordings, such as emails, voicemail messages, and existing charts, lists, and policies. If you're seeking a current or former student's school records, instead please contact

Board Policy KDB - Public's Right to Know/Freedom of Information
Board Policy KDB-R - Public's Right to Know/Freedom of Information

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.